Configuration details mentioned in this document can be used for Lync client on iOS (iPhone, iPad), Android and Windows Phones.
Download the Lync client app from respective App Stores. Go through the default installation process. Click ‘Lync 2010’ app on the phone.
- Under Sign-in details, enter your email address, for e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter the password provided
- Expand ‘Hide Details’ and enter your user name as domainusername, for e.g. mediationgateway.combalaji
- Select ‘Auto-Detect Server’ as ‘On’
- Choose default settings for the rest
- Click ‘Sign In’
- After successful sign-in, Lync client displays the status and presence for the user
- Under ‘My Info’ , sign-in user’s options are displayed
- Under ‘Contacts’ sign-in user’s contacts are displayed
- PSTN Calls from the phone can be also made via the dial pad
Your Lync client is configured to work with VOIP Connections hosted Lync server. Refer ‘Work Smart using Microsoft Lync 2010 ‘ guide on how to use Lync for IM, application sharing, scheduling a meeting and making inbound and outbound PSTN calls.
Note: A word of caution. When Lync client makes an outbound PSTN call or receives inbound call from other ‘Lync Clients’, it uses ‘Cellular connection’ to make the call. Lync client does not use Wi-fi connection for voice calls. That’s a big difference compared to other Soft-Phones or Skype for that matter. If you are outside your normal Cellular coverage area and making / receiving Lync call, you would incur ‘roaming charges’.