Mediation Gateway™ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is ‘Mediation Gateway’?
Mediation Gateway is a software application that provides SIP trunking for Microsoft Lync 2010.
2. What are the system requirements?
Mediation Gateway is a Linux based application and it requires a server grade machine, physical or virtual to operate. The operating system is bundled with the application. We will install and configure it for our Customers.
The server machine configuration required for Mediation Gateway depends upon number of concurrent calls required in the Lync environment. Please contact us for more information.
3. Do I need any other special hardware?
No special hardware is required.
4. Do I need a PRI lines or PSTN lines?
No, you don’t need PRI or PSTN lines. Mediation Gateway communicates securely via SIP to our hosted PBX.
5. Does it support inbound and outbound voice calls from Lync to external PSTN numbers?
Yes, it supports inbound and outbound calls to external PSTN numbers
6. How about Conference Bridge numbers?
Yes, it supports dial-in numbers for Lync based conference calls.
7. We have our Employees / Customers in other Countries. Can we get local numbers in those Countries?
Yes, we provide local numbers in any City / Country where ‘Voice Over IP’ is legally supported.
8. Can we get toll free numbers in US and other countries for Lync dial-in Conference Bridge?
Yes, we provide toll free numbers in US and other countries for Lync based dial-in Conference Bridge.
9. What are the environments supported by Mediation Gateway?
Mediation Gateway® supports the following environments
- ‘On Premise’ – Lync servers are installed and configured within Customer’s premises or in private datacenter.
- ‘Hosted’ – Lync servers are installed in a shared datacenter or ‘Amazon AWS Cloud’
10. Do you mean, we can install Microsoft Lync in Amazon AWS Cloud? Does it support ‘Enterprise Voice?’
Yes and yes. Please sign up and we will provide you access to our demo environment.
11. Do you really mean on Amazon AWS EC2 Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), with voice support?
Yes, on Amazon AWS EC2 Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) with Lync ‘Enterprise Voice’ support.
A typical Mediation Gateway setup on Amazon AWS.
12. What about Azure Cloud?
Yes, we are working on it. Please stay tuned for our next update.
13. What are the advantages of hosting Microsoft Lync on Cloud environments like Amazon AWS or Azure?
The biggest advantage is – easy to ‘Scale up and down’
- For e.g. if the Lync implementation was designed to handle 100 concurrent calls and say for ‘all hands meeting’ which requires support for 500 concurrent calls, once can easily change the server instance type for the short duration of the meeting to support the increased load and after that bring it down. No extra hardware required.
- And during weekends and holidays (minimum load periods), one can change to smaller instance type and reduce operation cost.
Other advantages are
- Pay as you use
- Easy to distribute the servers across multiple geographical locations
Please sign up and we will provide access to our demo environment.